Charles M. Lawrie, MD Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr. Charles Lawrie is a fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon with a practice specializing in hip and knee joint preservation, resurfacing and replacement. He provides expert care to his patients by using the latest advanced treatments and minimally invasive techniques to speed recovery and return patients to their active lifestyles.
Dr. Lawrie was born and raised in Houston, Texas. He graduated from Rice University summa cum laude with a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Cell Biology and was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. He then received his medical degree at Baylor College of Medicine where he received numerous awards and was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. Dr. Lawrie completed his Orthopedic Surgery residency at the University of Miami and fellowship training in hip and knee preservation, resurfacing and replacement at Washington University in Saint Louis. Following this fellowship, he completed an orthopedic trauma fellowship at the University of Zurich in Switzerland where he also received further advanced training in complex fracture care and minimally invasive anterior total hip replacement. Upon completion of his fellowship, he was invited to join the faculty as a professor of orthopedic surgery.
Dr. Lawrie has published numerous peer-reviewed publications in highly rated journals and presents his research nationally at orthopedic conferences and meetings each year. He has strong interests in minimally invasive surgical techniques including anterior approach hip replacement and unicompartmental knee replacement. He also has specialized training Birmingham Hip Resurfacing, as well as complex and revision hip and knee replacement. He is dedicated to providing his patients with personalized care to help them understand their problems, consider their options and work together to pick the right solution.
|Services||Locations||For an Appointment|
|Orthopedic Surgery||Barnes-Jewish Hospital|
|Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital
|Progress West Hospital
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Orthopedic Surgery, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL
- Joint Preservation, Resurfacing, and Replacement Fellowship, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- AOTrauma Fellowship, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2018, Albert J. Key Washington University Orthopedic Society
- 2017, Florida Orthopedic Society Resident Research Competition, 2nd place
- 2017, Florida Orthopedic Society Resident OrthoBowl, 1st place
- 2012, Alpha Omega Alpha
- 2009, 2010, Eppright Award for Outstanding Medical Student Research in Orthopedic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine
- 2008, Phi Beta Kappa
- 2008, Phi Lamba Upsilon National Chemistry Honor Society
- 2007, George J. Schroepfer, Jr. Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship Grant
- 2004-2008, President's Honor Roll, Rice University
- 2004, Cum Laude Society
Professional Societies and Organizations
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Southern Orthopedic Association
- Missouri State Orthopedic Association
- St. Louis Orthopedic Society
Dr. Lawrie has research interests in hip and knee arthroplasty in young, active adults, anterior approach hip replacement, cementless total knee arthroplasty, image-guided and computer assisted surgery, and biomechanics of the hip and knee joint.
- Mica L, Niggli C, Bak P, Yaeli A, McClain M, Lawrie CM, Pape HC. Development of a Visual Analytics Tool for Polytrauma Patients: Proof of Concept for a New Assessment Tool Using a Multiple Layer Sankey Diagram in a Single-Center Database. World J Surg. 2019 Nov 11.
- Kazarian GS, Lawrie CM, Barrack TN, Donaldson MJ, Miller GM, Haddad FS, Barrack RL. The Impact of Surgeon Volume and Training Status on Implant Alignment in Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019 Oct 2.
- Lawrie CM, Schwabe M, Pierce A, Nunley RM, Barrack RL. The cost of implanting a cemented versus cementless total knee arthroplasty. Bone Joint J. 2019 Jul.
- Nam D, Lawrie CM, Salih R, Nahhas CR, Barrack RL, Nunley RM. Cemented Versus Cementless Total Knee Arthroplasty of the Same Modern Design: A Prospective, Randomized Trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019 Jul 3.
- Horwood NJ, Nam D, Greco NJ, Lombardi AV Jr, Clohisy JC, Lawrie CM, Berend KR. Reduced Thigh Pain with Short Femoral Stem Design Following Direct Anterior Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty Surg Technol Int. 2019 May 15;34:437-444.
- Nicolescu R, Quinnan SM, Lawrie CM, Hutson JJ. J Orthop Trauma. Tensioned Wire-Assisted Intramedullary Nail Treatment of Proximal Tibia Shaft Fractures: A Technical Trick. 2019 Mar;33(3):e104-e109.
- Aiyer AA, Zachwieja EC, Lawrie CM, Kaplan JRM. Management of Isolated Lateral Malleolus Fractures. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019 Jan 15.
- Lawrie CM, Nunely RM. Advances in closure technology and technique for total joint arthroplasty. Seminars in Arthroplasty. Epub ahead of print 13 April 2018.
- Donnally CJ 3rd, Lawrie CM, Sheu JI, Gunder MA, Quinnan SM. Primary Intra-Medullary Nailing of Open Tibia Fractures Caused by Low-Velocity Gunshots: Does Operative Debridement Increase Infection Rates?Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2018 Apr; 19(3): 273-277.
- Lawrie CM, Ong AC, Hernandez VH, Rosas S, Post ZD, Orozco FR. Incidence and Risk Factors for Postoperative Urinary Retention in Total Hip Arthroplasty Performed Under Spinal Anesthesia.J Arthroplasty. 2017 Dec; 32(12):3748-3751.
- Quinnan SM, Lawrie C. Optimizing Bone Defect Reconstruction - Balanced Cable Transport with Circular External Fixation. Journal of Orthopedic Trauma. October 2017, Vol. 31, No. 10, pp 347-355.
- Donnally C, Lawrie CM, Baitner AC. The Season of Hoverboards: A Case Series of Fractures.Pediatric Emergency Care. May 2017, Vol. 33, No. 5, pp 1-4.
- Fokin A, Huntley SR, Summers SH, Lawrie CM, Miranda AD, Caban-Martinez AJ, Steinlauf SD. CT Scan Assessment of Peroneal Tendon Displacement and Posteromedial Structure Entrapment in Pilon Fractures.Journal of Orthopedic Trauma. November 2016, Vol. 30, No. 11, pp 627-633.
- Best MJ, Buller LT, Lawrie C, Quinnan S. The Influence of Psychiatric Comorbidity on Perioperative Outcomes Following Surgery for Distal Humerus Fractures. Advances in Orthopedic Surgery, Vol. 2016, Article ID 4913808, 10 pages.
- Buller LT, Lawrie CM, Vilella FE. A growing problem: acetabular fractures int he elderly and the combined hip procedure. Orthopedic Clinics of North America, April 2015, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp 215-225.
- Lawrie CM, Noble PC, Ismaily SK, Stal D, Incavo SJ. The Flexion-Extension Axis of the Knee and its Relationship to the Rotational Orientation of the Tibial Plateau.Journal of Arthroplasty, September 2011, Vol. 26, No. 6, Supplement, pp. 53-58.e1.
- Lawrie CM, Sulistijo ES, MacKenzie KR. Intermonomer hydrogen bonds enhance GxxxG-driven dimerization of the BNIP3 transmembrane domain: roles for sequence context in helix-helix association in membranes.Journal of Molecular Biology, March 2010, Vol. 396, No. 4, pp. 924-936.
Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital969 N. Mason Road
St. Louis, MO 63141
One Barnes-Jewish Hospital PlazaSt. Louis, MO 63110
Progress West HospitalMedical Office Building 1
20 Progress Point Parkway
O'Fallon, MO 63368